Saturday, August 28, 2010

Great Grilled Pizza but with an user errors

I have wanted to make a good pizza for a while. I have tried the box mixes for crust and the can sauces...and all I can say is that they are terrible. I have searched the internet for a good pizza dough recipe. I found this one on FabulousFoods.com. It had a lot of really good reviews and I can see why. I also made the pizza sauce from a recipe that I made up as I went. Everything tasted great, however I ran into an issue with my pizza stone. The crust stuck to my stone, because I forgot to put flour or Corn meal on it. So that would be my only fix for this. I cooked it on the grill and tasted great. Also you can put whatever pizza topping you want. I used fresh grated Mozzarella, Pepperoni, Sausage, Roasted Red Pepper, Fresh chopped Basil, and Baby Portabellas on half (as I am allergic to Mushrooms and Julie loves them). Enjoy!


Pizza Dough

1 1/2 C very warm Water
2 tsp Yeast
2 tsp Sugar
2 3/4 C Bread Flour
1/2 C Semolina Flour or Wheat Flour
1 tsp Salt

In a Large bowl mix Warm Water, Yeast and Sugar together. After about 2-3 minutes you should see bubbles in the mixture. Add the dry ingredents and mix by hand. In another Large put 1 Tbsp of olive oil and spread around. Transfer the dough to this bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let is sit in at room tempature until it doubles in size (about an hour).

Pizza Sauce

10 Roma Tomatoes
1/2 small white onion
2 cloves of Garlic
10 freash Basil leaves
1 Tbsp Fresh Oregano
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 can Tomato Paste

Boil Tomatoes until skins crack and dump into cold water. Remove the skins and put tomatoes into a blender with the garlic, onion, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. Blend well. Transfer to pot add tomato paste and reduce to a thicker sauce.

 Roll Dough out on to a 14-16" pizza stone (remember to put either corn meal or flour on the stone). Spread Sauce on the dough. Put your choice of topping on it and top with cheese. The better the cheese, less grease you end up with the pizza. Put the pizza stone on the Grill that is pre-heated to at least 350 degrees (a good grill will exceed 550 degrees so keep an eye on your pizza). It took about about 15 minutes for my pizza to cook fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment